Saturday, October 12, 2013

Just Like Grandma Used to Make (and still does!)

 
This morning was a perfect cool fall morning to get a lot of things done.  First a nice run in the cool breeze, followed by a warm cup of coffee.  Then, it was time to dig into some projects I have been wanting to do for some time.  First up, making some homemade doughnuts.  My Grandma Carolan makes the best homemade doughnuts ever.  I have fond memories of going to her house after church on Sunday for coffee and doughnuts.  I've made these a few times before, and probably not for a few years so it was definitely time!  They turned out okay, surely not as good as Grandma's though!  It's funny how the older I get the more I cherish those memories of when I was little.  It puts a lot of things into perspective, especially when it comes to all the memories I want to create for our kids.
 
So, back to the doughnuts.  They are easy to make, a simple recipe, but a good one at that.  I think the trick is getting the oil to the correct temperature so that they cook just right.  This batch made a couple dozen, so some went straight to the freezer. 



 
 
In other news this week, we continue to battle with a virus going around.  For the second week ina row we made a visit to the clinic, but the good news is it was only a virus.  Flu shots next week to hopefully avoid any other illnesses this upcoming winter!
 
The kids are continuing to enjoy school.  Yesterday Eryn got to play soccer with some UIU Soccer players, and even got autographs.  She was pretty excited.  Both her and Nolan are looking forward to Merit Day next Friday.  More on that next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment