Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Manic Monday

We are a week (or two) into the new school year. We are all getting used to new routines, new teachers, new friends, etc.  It's been a pretty smooth transition for the older kids.  Eryn is now into middle school so she is going with the flow moving from class to class, etc. Nolan also is adjusting quite well and by the looks of his papers coming home, is doing a great job with his schoolwork.

Derek on the other hand has had some bumps in the road as far as transitioning to school.  He is by far the most routine oriented child of the three and with preschool taking up a good part of his week this boy is a bit lost.  Last week went fairly well with some tears at school but for the most part I was proud of his adjusting.  This week however has proven to be a bit of a challenge.  No body likes Mondays (including myself) so I should not have been so niave to think Monday was going to go off without a hitch.  More like lots of tears and resistence.  I didn't cry much last week when my baby went off on that schoolbus, but it was a different story on Monday morning.  He didn't want to go. At.all.  Mom almost gave in. Let him stay home.  But I didn't.  It.was.tough.  For me and him both I am sure.  I cried the entire drive to work.  Lots of thoughts and emotions going through my head.  All in all I know I made the right decision, but I still felt guilty. 

After alot of discussion about the new schedule, a new visual to help him understand, an overnight stay planned for grandma's this weekend and a new toy at the end of a great week, we are getting there.  Baby steps for sure, but we will get there.  This morning he tried his best to be strong and brave, but those tears still came.  He wiped them away quickly, lower lip trembling.  But he got on that bus....and had a terrific day!  YEAH!!! 

Here's to staying positive and continuing to make strides on that adjustment of preschool!

No comments:

Post a Comment