Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Year's Baby + Chocolate Cake!

My dad was a new year's baby, so we get to celebrate double time each January 1.  This year we got together just like we always do at Mom and Dad's.  One thing is different, though.  My perception on birthdays, or any day for that matter.  I think sometimes we take each day for granted.  We think we are always gonna wake up the next day and keep trucking through this thing called life.  But that's not really the case.  Each day is a gift and I am grateful for each and every day I get here on this Earth.  So, this birthday for my dad was a little different.

First of all, I always make dad a birthday cake.  As a fellow chocoholic, I seek out a new chocolate cake recipe to try out and share with him and the rest of the family.  This years' recipe was simple, yet delicious!

here's the link if you ever need a chocolate fix:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/237283474092852371/
Easy, best homemade chocolate cake recipe! You'll use it again and again. With fast chocolate frosting (with 4 minute video tutorial start to finish!). This combo is a winner! ~nelliebellie.com



Dad's gift this year was not your typical gift. It was special--kind of homemade you could say.  I've seen pictures with the Paul Harvey poem "So God Made a Farmer" and right away my dad came to mind.  I even read that poem at my Grandpa's funeral, so it really is special to me and my family.  So I came up with an idea to try and put that poem with a picture of my dad doing what he does best--farming!  This fall when the kids went for their annual ride with dad I took pics with my phone and hoped for the best. With the photo skills of my sister in law she was able to put the poem on the picture and I uploaded it to create a one of a kind gift.

When Dad opened it today, he said "I have a combine like that....oh that's my combine."  It was priceless.  So, I hope he enjoys that gift as much as I do.  It's memories like that that make me so grateful for another day to be able to share them with the people I care about most.  So, as we begin another year, let's focus on the things in life that really do matter most: family, memories and being happy-- more so doing what makes YOU happy.  Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment