Sunday, September 23, 2012

Harvest Time!

Chris, Lexie and Eryn in the combine

Derek enjoying one of Grandma's "tookies" (cookies)

Derek and Papa
It's that time of year again....my favorite time of year.  Fall is in the air, and because of too little rain this summer the crops are ready to come out of the field.  Each year the kids are and I try to get in on a little combine time with grandpa.  This year Uncle Chris has gotten some combine time so the kids were eager to get in a ride with their Uncle.  This brings back so many memories for me as a kid getting rides with Dad in the combine, Mom making lunch for everyone and bringing it out in the field, and of course, the conversation that goes along with it.  I learn more and more every year about farming (and a few other things!).  Either way, I LOVE that I can make these memories with my kids, while I reminisce about my own childhood.  It's those little things in life that make all the difference, ya know?!

Nolan loved riding so much he got in two different rides.  Chris said the boys (Keegan and Nolan) hardly talked but when the girls rode, it was a different story...so funny to hear the things they say!!

Derek loved his ride as well; I rode along since I wasn't sure how he would handle it on his own.  He kept saying "raining" as the corn was filling the hopper behind our seat.

Last weekend the kids got their pumpkins from Grandma's patch and they are now in front of the garage, awaitng carving time.

I made a stop at the orchard this week as well to get a few apples, and today made the first apple crisp (yum!) and a pot of soup.  This household is battling colds (for the past two weeks) and I am hoping we are at the tail-end of it!!

Derek and I are inside doing various projects today while the older kids and Randy are out with the 4 wheelers putting up trail cameras.  Nolan is really getting into hunting this year and has been looking forward to this!  He is asking for camo clothes and a bow and arrow for his birthday:)

Another busy week ahead for this house, with tumbling, religion class and Nolan's last week of flag football...and our 10th Wedding anniversary on Friday!  Hope everyone has a great week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment