Sunday, September 8, 2013

Corn+ Apples + Tomatoes=lots of work done!

I'd like to say that we had an uneventful weekend but we were sure busy!  Nothing was planned on the calendar, and I kinda like those kind of weekends.  Saturday I continued to work on canning tomatoes and made some pasta sauce.  Then, it was time to finish up the apples I had left, so I made my own recipe for applesauce. 
 
I don't know how many pounds of apples I had, but I would guess 10 or 15.  Peeled, cored and sliced, then added a cup or so of water and let them cook down on the stove.  Then I pureed them and added one mango and three peaches, and about 3 cups of sugar.  End result=8 pints of yummy peach mango applesauce!
 
I also wanted to try out some of the apple pie filling I made earlier in the week, as it was a new recipe for me.  I don't like to put a lot of work into something and end up not liking it!  I decided to make a pan of apple pie bars, for a couple reasons.  One, it's way easier than making a pie, and tastes about the same as a pie, and two, they are much easier to pack for lunch or eat on the run.  All I had to do was make up the crust, roll it out and put it in a 9x13 pan, then top it with the filling and finish with the other crust, egg white wash, and 45 minutes later they were done!  I like how the filling turned out and wouldn't mind making some more filling, so you can guess what I will be doing next weekend!
 
 
Later in the afternooon we picked sweet corn.  My tank was on empty so we saved that work for this afternoon after a quick visit to my parents!  While it wasn't near as warm out as it was yesterday it was cloudy, and the kids opted to lay low in the house.  It had been awhile since we got puzzles out and since a certain 2 year old didn't feel like napping, it was a nice quiet activity.  Eryn's been busy reading and is into the Babysitters Club books.  Oh, the memories!  I read every single book of that series when I was her age!!
 
 
Trying to get ahead of a busy week I also made up some muffins for breakfast and browned some burger for supper tomorrow.  It is way less stressful to get some of those things out of the way on the weekend to make the weeknights a little more enjoyable!  This week Eryn starts Gymnastics and both older kids start religion classes.  So, here's to another week~!


working together!


the finished product


little bookworm:)
CORN!

No comments:

Post a Comment