Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Canning Do's and Don'ts

I have learned alot about canning from my family.  I helped my grandparents can everything when I was a young'en.  From tomatoes to corn, I hated sitting in the hot kitchen, cutting hot corn off the cob, or skinning tomatoes.  Well, of course now I am older and see the wonderful memories that were created by doing so.  I also learned alot about cooking in that hot kitchen that I hope to someday pass on to my kids!

So, all the talk about canning.  I always wonder what is the best way to can?  Use a homemade recipe, or a pre-made mix?  I have tried things both ways, and really it depends on how  you like your product.  For instance Randy loves the Mrs. Wages pizza sauce, but I don't.  Mrs. Wages is great for dill pickles and applesauce as I am finding out this year.  I have already stocked up on the pizza sauce and salsa mixes as I know they will go fast in the grocery store and become hard to find.  For just a little under $2 per package, I think it's a good deal.  DO get out there and get some!

I have also gotten to the point that I am needing to purchase new jars.  I was fortunate enough to get some hand me down old jars from my dear grandmother.  I think I am just canning more so therefore am needing more jars.  Those too I think are quite reasonable in price.  For about $10 you can get a 12 pack of quart jars, lids and all.  DO purchase new jars from time to time.

This year we did something different with our corn, and I think it will turn out quite yummy.  It's not healthy by any means, but I think it will be a good side dish to the turkey and dressing come Thanksgiving!  We put 25-30 cups of corn with half and half and a whole pound of butter!  Yes, a pound.  Mixing it up I thought, man what am I doing???  This corn is totally not going to be heathly!!  But we tried it anyway, as I am pretty sure this first batch will be one of many we do over the next weeks.  With the strange weather we have had this summer, some corn is ready early, but I think most of it will be ready in the next few weeks. 

That said, we had to taste test some of the corn and I do have to say it tastes pretty darn good!   So DO try this recipe! Randy said it could use some salt, but then again he says that about almost any food!

I would say DON'T can in a small kitchen such as my own, but who am I kidding?  I have learned that I just need to refrain from multitasking when I am in the kitchen and stick to one project at a time and I can get by with the limited counter space that I have....until that next remodel, that is:)

DO have helpers!  Of course kids can get in the way with some of these projects, but you can have them help out with some of the prepping, like husking the corn, it will help!  My kids wonder how I can shuck so fast.  All those years of helping Grandma and Grandpa are certainly paying off!  The hubby is always a good help as well!  He likes doing those jobs I don't (like cutting the corn from the cob).

There you have it!  My opinions on canning thus far.  As I mentioned we are far from being done for the season so stay tuned for more Do's and Don'ts!

1 comment: