Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Maiden Voyage

Last Sunday we took the two older kids canoeing for the first time.  Randy and I have canoed several times before, and the kids are old enought to let them see what an adventure it can be.

It was perfect weather.  Hot, sunny and breezy!  I wasn't sure how the kids would take to the water, mud, bugs, you know....nature, but they loved it!  I got several questions beforehand, like "are there leeches?"  "will the fish bite at my legs?" and my favorite "what about the crocodiles?"  Makes me chuckle, these kids or ours!

We trekked down the Turkey from Spillville to near Fort, about a 3 hour jaunt, which was perfect.  The kids took turns rowing, and as long as we stopped a couple of times to let them swim, get a handful of potato chips and another root beer from the cooler, they were happy campers!  I've learned as a parent to always have tricks up your sleeve, and with our kids snacks and treats work like a charm!

Despite one near tip-over that resulted in a head dunking, there were no canoes tipped!  They have been asking to go every night this week, thanks to the HOT and HUMID weather.  On a sidenote, I am not complaining, I will take this weather any day over cold and snow, hands down!!

We might be brave enought to let Derek venture on our next trip, with lifejacket in tow of course!  He didn't mind staying back and spending some time with Grandma and Grandpa, visiting the firestation and eating popcorn!

No comments:

Post a Comment