Tuesday, August 12, 2014

A Bit of This and That

My laptop is finally up and running smoothly again and I feel like I can write a good blog post!  Yeah!  The summer continues to wind down with 8 days until school starts.  Yikes!  We are trying our best to cram as much in of summer in these last days as possible.

Over the weekend we finished up our school supply shopping and the kids got haircuts. We made a trip to the Whippy Dip, thinking it may be our last as summer fades away.  We took a trip to Lake Meyer, allbeit 5 miles from our house but we make one or two trips there a year. The kids love the playground as well as the trails to explore and to throw rocks in the lake.  On this trip, however, a bird had different plans for Derek. Oops!





Derek also started riding his bike without training wheels. He was getting a bit too bold with them on trying to keep up with the two older kids, so it was time.  He took off for the first time like nothing, so it won't be long before he's racing right beside those other two!

We also did our first batch of freezing corn this past weekend.  I'm patiently waiting for our huge tomato plants (they are as tall as I am!) and those tomatoes to turn so I can get to canning!  I've got plans for lots of pizza and pasta sauce, as we are down to 5 or less left of last year's harvest.

I did a long run on Saturday, about 9 miles.  It was tough.  It was muggy out.  I think I need a challenge.  In talking with some friends over the weekend I am contemplating doing the IMT half marathon this fall in Des Moines.  Not sure...could use some guidance-- or a push:)  I've been wanting to do a half all year and I keep chickening out.  It may be time to put on my big girl panties and JUST DO IT!

Last night the kids and I ventured to Waukon to the  Main Feature Movie Theatre.  The kids were amazed at the set up of this theatre.   You can eat pizza while you watch a movie!  They had a great time!

Tomorrow I took off of work to see what other adventures we can get our hands on as the countdown to school continues.  Stay tuned to see what we get ourselves into:)

On a much sadder note, I just want to mention a couple of things going on in our world in the past few days that really have me thinking.  With the horrific tragedy of a Sprint car racer being run over and killed on the track, to Robin William's suicide, and the sudden death of a young acquaintance in our small northeast Iowa nook, I can't help but send extra prayers to people who are suffering, and stop to think just how grateful and blessed my life is. I have a happy and healthy family. I have a job. I have a roof over my head and food on my table.  It's the little things, and we need never to forget that.  Thoughts and prayers to the families and friends of those whom I have mentioned as well as those who are silently struggling.  Remember, you are never alone.  God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment