Sunday, August 24, 2014

Long Distance Runs

With this heat it's been a bit of a challenge to do those runs outside, but I am determined NOT to use that treadmill until I absolutely have to!  With the sunrise getting later and later in the morning I have been forced to keep my running on the weekday mornings in town which is not on my list of favorites, but I make it work.  I love my weekend long runs that I typically do on Saturday mornings.  It's a quiet time outside before my day starts.  It's a great way to start my weekend on the right note.

Yesterday I thought I'd only do 6 miles or so with the air so heavy, but it ended up being more like 9.5 miles.  I've been stuck right around that mile marker for awhile, and haven't done more than that since June, so I'm thinking it's time to up the mileage a bit. How do I do that?  Alot of it really is mind over matter.  If you think you can do it, you will!  Having the right mindset when you set out helps so much.  If you put our mind to it you WILL do it.  That's what happened yesterday. Yes it was hot and humid, but I kept on going. That sense of accomplishment when you are finished is well worth it.

 I've seen quotes that go something about the only person you should be competing with his yourself.  So true. I think often times we worry way too much about what other people think and get wrapped up in that, forgetting about our sense of self. It's not always easy to do, but when you can focus on YOU and what goals YOU want to accomplish the possibilities are endless!

Once you have your mind made up  to add mileage, you add one mile (or a half mile) longer runs each week or so to your running schedule.  It's really a slow progression but you are adding mileage all along and it seems to work well.  So, I am committed to be running at least 10 next week!  I will continue to do two short runs (3-4 miles) during the week as well.

So, if you are contemplating upping the mileage on your runs, you CAN do it.  Set your mind to do it and the rest will come!

Even a bad run is better than no run at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment