Sunday, March 17, 2013

Little Dribbler and Taking a Risk

Nolan in action on the court
This month Nolan is participating in Basketball at South Winn on Thursday evenings.  He did this last year too, and I have seen such improvement in his skills!  It's a good chance for him to have some time outside of school with kids his age, especially those that go to different schools.

Up until this point, I haven't been the type of blogger that writes my opinions in my posts about different topics, but I have been pondering the idea to expand my posts a little and put my thoughts out there.  So here it goes:)

It can be difficult to juggle kids' activities in addition to working, housework, paying bills, laundry, ect.  You moms out there know what I mean.  While kids participating in activities is a great thing and has many benefits, I think that it's also important not to get in over your head, where you, the parent feel overwhelmed.  Take this month, for instance.  Eryn already participates in tumbling and Girl Scouts, which just happen to  meet on the same evening of the week.  So one evening a week down.  Wednesdays are religion and church, so the two older kids and I are busy with that, leaving Randy and Derek to their own routine on those evenings.  This month, Thursdays is basketball for Nolan.  whew....I feel overwhelmed just typing this:) 

Anyway, my point is that we have to weigh our benefits of doing these activities at the sacrifice of family routine and togetherness at home.  I've given a lot of thought to this and while it's great for kids to be involved in activities they have to want to be involved.  That means that just because Mom or Dad wants them to be, they shouldn't be pushed to participate in something.  I truly believe in that. My parents never pushed me to be involved  with sports, it was my choice.  I think these days it is so easy to get caught up in all of these activities and "things" and you lose the true meaning of it all.  So, we don't push our kids to participate in anything they don't want to, and that's that!

I have found that I have to take some shortcuts to make this all work so that it's a win/win for the kids and the parents which was hard for me at first, but I am figuring it out and learning along the way.

 First helpful hint: Carpooling.  This works so well!  Tuesdays another parent takes Eryn to tumbling for me, and we give her daughter a ride on Wednesday to religion.  Awesome!   Thursdays this month I am doing the same with another mom.  Bonus!  One of us doesn't have to worry about getting the boys to and from, and can focus on other things that need to be done at home.

Another hint: Plan ahead.  I use Sundays to plan ahead for the week.  Knowing what's happening in the week ahead, if there is anything out of the ordinary, kids picking out what days they are taking lunch, clothing washed and ready for activities, those sorts of things.  Planning out meals, which I have done for years, is also helpful.  Even better if I can do some of the meal prep on Sunday so that all I have to do is pop something in the crock pot or oven on weeknights.

And, not to forget, but both parents helping out goes a long way as well!  Family is a team effort!  I am very fortunate to have a great husband who is a wonderful help!  Teamwork is how we get things done at this house.  We all help with cleaning, laundry and meal time.  It's also a great way for kids to learn responsibility.

So there's my opinion.....not sure how I feel about this being posted, but it's time to take some risks and expand on my blogging.....

That said, I am off to prepare for the week...which will definitely not be an ordinary week.  We've got a birthday girl in the house coming up next Saturday!!  Lots of things needing to be done in preparation for the big party!  I am off to Des Moines for most of the week for my last work training, so extra planning to make things run smoothly for Randy and the kids:)  To top it all off, snow is in the forecast so I may need to alter my plans and head down early. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your post. You certainly make being a Mother look easy, so it's heartening to know that at times it can seem overwhelming with all the extracurriculars. You are a fantastic Mother and proud to have you as my sister-in-law! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete