Sunday, March 24, 2013

On Demand?

We live in a world that is always on the go.  With that has come a set of expectations that many people have.  Whether it be at work, your friends or family, social media, cell phones, you name it, you can get ahold of someone in the blink of an eye.  Why?  That's a good question.  Whatever happened to old fashioned letters and phone calls?  Now, it's texting, texting, texting.  Which, honestly works well in some cases, but I think we need to get back to the basics.  It's all in how you prioritize your life.

Yes, I have a cell phone, and yes, I am involved in social media.  What is important is that you don't let it interfere with your lifestyle.  Meaning, you don't stop everything every time that phone makes a noise.  Case in point, recently I was upstairs putting laundry away when my phone (downstairs) made a noise.  Eryn comes running up to me, "mom, your phone buzzed."  It made me realize that we are teaching our kids that when someone jumps we need to say "how high?"----or not.  These things don't need our immediate attention, unless of course it's an emergency.  I am grateful for cell phones, especially this fall when school was on lockdown, and my kids called me.... So grateful.

But again, we need to decide what priorities we choose in life.  It's not the end of the world if I don't log into Facebook 12 times a day....what's important is that we spend time with the people we love, teach our kids the right morals and values, and be good role models for them.  Our children are our world....and it's up to us to give them the tools that they need to be successful.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.  We are laying low today to recooperate from birthday celebrations yesterday.  Lots of cuddle time on the agenda.  And, laundry of course....

No comments:

Post a Comment