Sunday, October 19, 2014

Keepin' it Low Key

We've had a low key weekend which was much needed in our house!  Yesterday the kids (and I) got a ride in the combine with my dad.  I really enjoy this time of year, for so many reasons. The pretty leaves, the family farming traditions, getting ready for the upcoming busier months of the year.  As I think more about it, when I was a kid it was a busy time of year, for all of those reasons.  It was also my grandparents birthdays in late October/early November and I think that has many happy memories as well.  We gathered together, usually on a Friday night to celebrate their birthdays.  Lots of food, fun and laughs. That's what family is all about. I miss those days, but know that I can make many memories just like that with my family.




Derek went on another sleepover at Grandma's so we got in some QT with the other kids.  Catching up on tv shows, reading a good book or two, and snuggling up on a chilly fall night. I also got in a good long run outdoors yesterday.  I typically like to run first thing in the morning but our schedule didn't allow for that, so I went out of my comfort zone and ran outside in the afternoon. I think this run cured my fear of what time I run in the day to have peak performance.  Good to try something new once in awhile, huh?

That brings us to today.  I had plans of doing literally nothing.  Ok, nothing for me means no real projects but still getting the regular household chores done--and actually sitting down to watch a NASCAR race.  Up until early this afternoon that's just what we did.  Laundry, a little baking, getting those Christmas lists started. The kids were still in their jammies up until this time.  Doesn't get much more low key, does it?  As the day has worn on I realized it was another beautiful fall day and I didn't want to let it slip away from us.  So we changed clothes, packed up the baseball bats, gloves and ball, and headed for the park.


 It's days like this  that I really stop and realize just how blessed we are.  Happiness, health, beautiful Iowa fall weather, a roof over our heads,  food on the table, and great people in my life. Doesn't get much better than this.  I just need to remember that as I gear up for another week.  Seems like the weeks are so hectic and can get stressful and it gets so easy to focus on the negative. This weekend was just what I needed to regroup.  Enjoy the rest of the day and the sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment